I have had a bit of a change of heart, there will be some more 3.x releases.
Some things to expect in 3.0.8:
- Some users have reported issues with user submitted reviews, so as well as investigating these issues I am cleaning up the submit review form.
- The form for submitting comments and reviews now uses a star widget for rating instead of a text box (if enabled). I have chosen to use RateIt which is a jQuery plugin by Gidon.
- If you only have one review, then the select category step is removed when writing a review.
Simple Review 3.0.7 has been released (download). An upgrade is available for 3.0.6 users (download, unzip and then follow instructions).
Some new features as mentioned here.
- New. Support for comments using Disqus.
- New. Support for reCAPTCHA.
- Fix. Category and Review image selector Joomla 1.6.
- Fix. Backend review filter and pager issue.
- Fix. Content plugins Joomla 1.6.
- Change. The default comment template has been simplified and the orange has been removed.
- Change. The default review listing template (category.css) has been changed and the alternating background colour has been replaced by a top and bottom border. This is due to not currently having nice transparent star icons.
- Change. Categories and Reviews default to being published.
A small update on upcoming and planned releases.
In the next few weeks: 3.0.7
This will most likely be the last 3.x release.
The default comment template will be updated and the much complained about orange background has been removed.
Support for Disqus comments has been added. Disqus comments provides a pleasant commenting experience with many more options including, a global commenting account e.g. use the same account to comment on Simple Review, engadget.com and ign.com, Twitter & Facebook integration, powerful moderation tools, reply to specific comments and notifications. While Disqus won’t allow us to leave a rating, it will allow us to “like” and “dislike” reviews as well as individual comments.
Some other features around comments and fixes will also be added if time permits.
Some big changes and polish are planned for version 4.0. The first thing that will be focused on will be making review templates editable online and providing common options to turn on/off in templates.
We will be requiring your feedback for the direction of this release.
Simple Review 3.0.6 has been released (download). An upgrade is available for 3.0.5 users (download, unzip and then follow instructions).
Version 3.0.6 adds some long overdue features as well as fixing some PHP errors. A small but strongly recommended update.
- New. Can now delete custom fields.
- New. Can sort reviews in the backend.
- Fix. Deprecated errors in PHP 5.3.
- Fix. Comment display template undeclared PHP error.
- Fix. In the backend item listing the unpublished icon was displaying as published.
- Fix. Error if editing a review which has a long category field.
Simple Review 3.0.5 has been released (download). An upgrade is available for 3.0.4 users (download).
The Top and Latest review modules have also been updated to support Joomla 1.6 as well as the ability to show the rating as a star rating.
- New. Support for JomSocial.
- Fix. A problem with the pager in Joomla 1.6.
- Fix. Added pager css classes to category review listing (Joomla 1.6).
For the last two months development has not been as fast as I would have liked. This has mostly been due to going through the incredibly painful (both time consuming and expensive) process that is finding a new apartment in a foreign country. Well I have finally moved. I will be going on a short holiday soon, so once I get back at the end of the month I look forward to implementing a lot of requested features and fix some outstanding bugs.
I will also be looking at doing smaller and more frequent releases which I hope will be considered a good thing and not annoying.
Simple Review 3.0.4 has been released (download). An upgrade is available for 3.0.3 users (download) – a word of warning, the upgrade is quite large.
The main addition is support for Joomla 1.6. It may contain some issues so please treat Joomla 1.6 support as being a beta.
- New. Joomla 1.6 support (beta).
- Fix. When editing a review on a site with a lot of users then author combobox causes issues.
- Fix. Editing a banned IP may result in an undefined method PHP error.
- Fix. Top Rated Review widget layout on some Joomla templates.
- Fix. Cancel button not working on configuration page.
Simple Review 3.0.3 has been released (download). An upgrade is available for 3.0.2 users (download).
No new features with this release, just some fixes:
- If a field is missing then getting the review URL may cause an error.
- Cannot edit comments.
- Tags not working if Joomla SEO is on.
Development is currently under way on Joomla 1.6 compatibility. The current Simple Review development build installs on Joomla 1.6 and runs with some errors. I expect the next version of Simple Review (
3.0.3 3.0.4) to support Joomla 1.6 (most likely with some small issues).
Just remember that Joomla 1.6 will require PHP 5.2+ and MySQL 5.0.4+, at the moment I intend to keep Simple Review compatible with PHP 4 and MySql 4.
Simple Review 3.0.2 has been released (download). An upgrade is available for 3.0.1 users (download).
There is a small breaking change for those that have edited the comment display template.
To fix it we need to remove the directory path in the avatar URL, in the template file commentdisplay/template.php find the line which looks like this:
<img align='left' src="components/com_simple_review/images/avatars/<?php echo $c->avatar;?>"/>
and change it to this:
<img align='left' src="<?php echo $c->avatar;?>" width="48px" height="48px"/>
The biggest new feature is there is now limited support for Community Builder and Kunena. At the moment Simple Review only supports using their avatars in comments, but you can post your requests here.
Full list of changes:
- New. Added basic avatar support in comments for Community Builder and Kunena. Comment display template changed.
- New. Tag configuration: can specify the default template for tags.
- New. Tag configuration: can specify the replacement character for non-Latin characters in tag aliases.
- New. Placeholders can now be used in the tag review listing template. See this guide to upgrade your template (if applicable), be sure to use the tag template instead of category.
- New. Cleaned up main administration page.
- Fix. Error when editing a review with no titles.
- Fix. Quotes in meta information not being escaped.