This help applies to versions 2.2.1 and above.
Simple Review is a reviewing component for Joomla 1.5. Reviews written in Simple Review are separate from Joomla articles. The two main concepts of Simple Review are categories and reviews. A category contains reviews and you must have at least one category, a category can also contain child categories e.g. you may have a music category which contains the child categories punk and classical.
Additional help can be found at http://www.simple-review.com/forum/.
Download the latest version of the component from the project home page.
Log into your Joomla administration page and from the Extensions menu select Install/Uninstall.
Click the Browse button and select the downloaded Simple Review component zip file. Now click the Upload File & Install button.
Now that Simple Review has been installed you must add a menu item to it.
While still on the Joomla administration page select Main Menu from the Menus menu.
Click the New button.
Under the Internal Link node click the Simple Review node, after the node has expanded click Simple Review Category Listing. Now enter a title e.g. Reviews and click the Save button.
Now you will have a link on your sites frontpage to Simple Review, it wont do anything at the moment, we must first add some categories and reviews.
Adding a Category
From the Components menu hover over the Simple Review menu item and then click Category Management.
Click the new button.
- Parent Category – If you would like this category to be the child of another existing category you can select it here. For now we will use None to specify that this is a top level category.
- Page URL Name – This will be displayed in the URL e.g. if you enter music_reviews URLs will look like http://example.com/reviews/music_reviews.html or http://example.com/reviews/music_reviews/ramones-anthology.html, you can use any characters you like here but it will be URL encoded so it is recommended to only use Latin characters, numbers, periods, underscores and hyphens as some browsers may not display the decoded value in the address bar (it will still work fine but it will look ugly).
- Name – The name of the category e.g. Music Reviews.
- Category Template – When viewing a category display it using this template. The templates can be found in www/com_simple_review/views/category/tmpl/.
- Default Review Template – The default template to use when creating a new review. The templates can be found in www/com_simple_review/views/review/tmpl/.
- Default Review Content – When creating a new review you can specify some default content, use Blank if you want new reviews in this category to be initially empty.
- Description – Some text to describe what this category is all about.
Title 1 – A review can have numerous titles/fields e.g. for a music category you may have an artist and album name title, specifying titles here will result in the title text boxes artist and album name being displayed when creating a review. You can click the + button to increase the size of this text box. You can have different title types:
- Link – treat this field as a URL.
- List – treat this field as a list e.g. you may have a track listing title, using a list will allow the reviewer to easily build the track listing.
- Rating – treat this field as a numeric rating.
- Text – treat this field as plain text.
You can also click the Mandatory check box to make sure that the reviewer enters a value (not applicable for Lists).
You can click the Add a new title button to add additional titles.
- Category Image URL – The URL to an image file for this category.
- Category Order – You can specify an order for when this category is displayed in a list of categories.
- Publish the category – The category must be publish before it can be displayed (or any of its reviews), in most cases this should be checked.
Adding a Review
From the Components menu hover over the Simple Review menu item and then click Review Management.
Click the new button, select the category that this review belongs in and click the Next button.
- Author – Select the author of this review.
- Category – The category that this review belongs in. It is not recommended to change this as if the category has a different structure e.g. less titles, some data will be lost.
- Review Template – The template to use when displaying this review. The templates can be found in www/com_simple_review/views/review/tmpl/.
- Award – You can give this review an award e.g. Editors Choice.
- Rating – The rating to give the item being reviewed.
- Name – The name of the review e.g. Ramones – Anthology.
- Page URL Name – This will be displayed in the URL e.g. if you enter ramones-anthology URLs will look like http://example.com/reviews/music_reviews/ramones-anthology.html, you can use any characters you like here but it will be URL encoded so it is recommended to only use Latin characters, numbers, periods, underscores and hyphens as some browsers may not display the decoded value in the address bar (it will still work fine but it will look ugly).
- Titles – Titles for this review, the title names come from the category, you can expand the text boxes but you cannot change the type.
- Thumbnail URL – The URL to a thumbnail image.
- Image URL – The URL to a full sized image.
- Blurb – A brief introduction to this review.
- Published – A review will not be displayed unless it has been published. While working on a draft leave it unchecked, when you are finished check it.
- Review – The main contents of the review. If the reviews category had specified some default content then it will be displayed in here.